Financial Aid Overview

1. Carolinas HealthCare System Educational Loan Forgiveness Program

This loan is available to students enrolled in eligible clinical programs (HTL, MLS, NUR, RAD, RTT, SUR) at CCHS (This program is not available to any General Studies students, including those enrolled in the Pre-Nursing or Pre-Radiologic Technology tracks). Participating students sign a loan agreement and promissory note each semester.  Participants must complete and return the Educational Loan Forgiveness Program Participation Request Form prior to receiving any credits on their student accounts.  The maximum loan amount available for one-year programs is $5000, and $10,000 for two-year programs.  Student accounts are credited as follows:  $5000 for one-year programs – semester 1 - $1667; semester 2 - $1667; and semester 3 - $1666.  For students enrolled in two-year programs, 80% of the tuition and fees are credited each semester up to the loan maximum.  The remaining 20% is the responsibility of the student to pay. The assigned interest rate is the prime rate + 1% (withdrawal from the program brings any outstanding loan amount due and payable). Graduates who go to work full-time for Carolinas HealthCare System at a qualifying facility are eligible for forgiveness of the loan according to conditions stated in both the loan participation request and loan agreement. 

One semester of the loan equals four months of full-time work at an eligible facility within CHS. 

Please be advised:  Participation in the CHS Loan Forgiveness Program is not a guarantee of employment. 

Completed Participation Request Forms should be returned to the Carolinas College Financial Aid Office, 1200 Blythe Boulevard, Charlotte NC  28203. 

2. Federal Student Aid Programs

These programs are the most commonly known sources of student aid. Eligibility for federal aid programs is based on financial need and the student's cost of attendance. To apply for federal student aid a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may complete your federal application online at www.fafsa.gov.  If you have not completed a FAFSA online previously, you will first need to apply for and receive a PIN.  Go to www.pin.ed.gov to apply.  If you are a dependent student, at least one parent must also have a PIN.   

The federal school code for Carolinas College of Health Sciences is 031042.

3. Scholarships

Merit, need-based and special application scholarships are awarded each year.  In order to be considered, students should complete both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Carolinas College of Health Sciences Scholarship Application in order to be considered. Students will receive notification from the Financial Aid office when applications are being accepted. 

4. Health and Nursing Programs in North Carolina

The State of North Carolina provides financial assistance for individuals enrolled in college programs that prepare students for careers in health disciplines. Some of these programs provide financial assistance in the form of scholarships, which do not have to be paid back. Other programs are scholarship-loans; students who receive scholarship-loans must repay the debt by working in North Carolina in the appropriate health field for a specified period of time. Borrowers who do not repay the loan in service (by working) will be subject to a cash repayment at up to 10% interest. For more information and applications, visit www.cfnc.org.

5. Veterans Benefits

Carolinas College is approved for VA benefits through the North Carolina State Approving Agency. Visit www.gibill.va.gov for information on VA benefits and how to apply.

  

Contact Jill Powell, Financial Aid Coordinator, at 704-355-8894 or jill.powell@carolinashealthcare.org if you have any questions or want additional information. 

Last modified: Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 1:28 PM